One of the most frequently asked questions on the internet is on our agenda: Can I donate blood during my period?
The body loses blood during menstruation, but menstruation does not prevent blood donation. You can donate blood safely if necessary. When we look at the mathematics of the matter, we see that there are 4.7 - 5.5 liters of blood in an adult human body (varies depending on weight). When donating blood, we donate 10% of this rate , that is, 470 ml. When we menstruate, we lose 1-2% of the blood in the body.
How much blood is lost during menstruation?
Most people lose between 40 - 60 ml (5 - 9 teaspoons or 1.5 shot glasses or half a tea glass) of blood during their period. Heavy menstrual bleeding is defined as a blood loss of 80 ml or more per cycle. Of course, we don't just lose blood when we menstruate. According to research , 36% of menstrual discharge is blood, while the remaining 64% consists of mucus, uterine tissue and clots . Since we are talking about a heterogeneous mixture, it can be difficult to measure exact blood loss.
Of course, donating a week after your period may be a better choice. However , if you do not have a lot of bleeding or any illness and your hemoglobin level is above 11 g/dL, there is no harm in donating blood. If you have heavy menstrual bleeding, you may feel sick and weak as a loss, such as a blood donation, will reduce the hemoglobin and iron levels in the body.
Is it right to have a blood test during menstruation?
Giving blood for a blood test during your period may cause you to see different results depending on the test. Since hormones (especially progesterone and estrogen) are affected in the menstrual cycle, the results of hormone tests may be different, while other blood tests are not affected.
Always talk to experts before having a blood test or donating blood, and don't be afraid to ask any questions. Healthcare professionals will provide the most accurate guidance.